10 Global Startups in the SXSW PanelPicker
The 2018 SXSW PanelPicker contains almost 200 speaking proposals covering startups. Some of the most intriguing of these founder-focused ideas are the ones that demonstrate the international scope of today’s entrepreneurial movement.
10 of the most interesting international speaking proposals with regards to startups are as follows (listed in alphabetical order by first word of title).
- Airbnb: The Only Surviving US Unicorn in China: Learn why thi home rental service has thrived in the Far East where other American startups have failed.
- Being A Syrian CEO in Today’s Political Climate: Rami Essaid of Distil Networks covers how international startups can persevere despite bureaucratic red tape.
- Crossing 7000 Miles To Be At Austin’s Ecosystem: Virtual reality entrepreneur Mohammed Hujeij talks about his epic journey from Jordan to Central Texas.
- From Copied in China to Created in China: This country now boasts thousands of nimble startups in an ecosystem with valuations and access to capital that rivals Silicon Valley.
- Funding Terrorism Vs Startups Battle for Influence: Should funds currently allocated for fighting terrorism abroad be re-allocated to encouraging more entrepreneurs?
- LatAm: Fertile Ground for FinTech Entrepreneurship: How and why are FinTech-focused startups thriving in Mexico and other forward-thinking Latin American countries.
- Leading From the Bottom: Emerging Mkts Innovations: This proposal highlights three exceptional social enterprises from innovative founders in Uganda, Malaysia and Mexico.
- Little Country, Big Tech: Investment in Israel: Dig deeper into the Israeli tech ecosystem to discuss current tech investments trends, entrepreneurs, whose jumping on the bandwagon and what’s next for the country’s overcrowded cybersecurity space.
- Pitch & Touch: Weird Startups from U of Tokyo: Meet the 2018 class of “Todai To Texas,” an official project of The University of Tokyo for startups to showcase their creations at SXSW.
- A Startup’s Guide to International Expansion: This session will discuss the challenges of translating a product internationally from a business and cultural perspective to ensure success.
Also, if you are part of the domestic or international startup industry, then apply to be part of the 2018 SXSW Accelerator Pitch Event.
Finally, use the search button at the top left side of the SXSW PanelPicker interface to locate the speaking ideas that you are most passionate about. Type in whatever keywords strike your fancy! Hurry, voting closes at 11:59 pm CDT on Friday, August 25.
Hugh Forrest serves as Chief Programming Officer at SXSW, the world’s most unique gathering of creative professionals. He also tries to write at least four paragraphs per day on Medium. These posts often cover tech-related trends; other times they focus on books, pop culture, sports and other current events.