Ring in the New New at SXSW 2019
The first day of the New Year provides a great opportunity to review some of the many new elements of SXSW 2019, which occurs March 8–17 in Austin:
- SXSW Pitch. This is the new name for the March 9–10 startup-focused competition that previously known as SXSW Accelerator. Look for finalists in all 10 categories to be revealed within the next 10 days.
- New Trends. While massive creativity remains the bottom line at SXSW, other areas of focus have changed. Read about 10 big themes that will dominate discussions this spring by visiting the “Trends” page.
- Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Track. One of two new tracks with the SXSW Conference. These sessions begin on Thursday, March 14 and continue through Saturday, March 16.
- Cannabusiness Track. The second of two new tracks for this year’s event. Learn all about the new opportunities for entrepreneurs during the three days of sessions the run from Thursday, March 14 through Saturday, March 16.
- New Series of Sessions. For 2019, you’ll find series of sessions that focus on everything from LGBTQ issues to online accessibility to the future of oceans. Stay tuned to the SXSW online schedule for complete details.
- New Date for SXSW Interactive Innovation Awards. Honoring some of the top digital creations from the last 12 months, this ceremony moves to Monday evening, March 11. Finalists for 2019 announced soon!
- New Date for SXSW Community Service Awards. Meet inspiring leaders and organizations who are doing amazing things for their various communities. For 2019, this feel-great event moves to the morning of Sunday, March 10.
- Special Student Rates. High school and college students (and their teachers) get special rates for March Magic. Click here for information on how these rates have been re-structured for 2019.
- New Downtown Hotels. The Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin Downtown at 78 East Avenue joins the lineup of lodging options. Plenty of great rooms still available for March!
- Revised Dates for SXSW Gaming. If you love e-sports and other online adventures, then SXSW Gaming shouldn’t be missed. For this year, these activities run Friday, March 15 through Sunday, March 17. Free admission with your SXSW badge — or buy single day and multi-day tickets here.
Finally, stay tuned in January for lots of announcements, including Film Festival screenings, Music Festival bands and more Featured Speakers.
Hugh Forrest serves as Chief Programming Officer at SXSW, the world’s most unique gathering of creative professionals. He also tries to write at least four paragraphs per day on Medium. These posts often cover tech-related trends; other times they focus on books, pop culture, sports and other current events.