SXSW PanelPicker: Cannabusiness
Cannabusiness is big business. The worldwide market (did you know Uruguay was the first country to legalize pot completely?) increased by a stunning 37 percent in 2018, and global spending this year is estimated to reach $57 billion (about two-thirds recreational and one-third medicinal if you’re curious). Stock analysts consider the marijuana market one of the safest bets out there.
So it’s no surprise that there’s a verdant, bumpercrop of PanelPicker ideas for the 2020 SXSW Cannabusiness track — more than 150 proposals that touch on equity and social justice, tech, women in cannabis, cultivation, commercialization, law, prohibition, culture and more. Check out some of the best ideas below.
- Cannabis Biotech: The New Wave of Pharma
- Cannabusiness in Africa: Is there a future?
- Full Recovery: Mixing Cannabis with Sobriety
- Duty Bound: Why the DoD Should Embrace Cannabis
- Grass ceiling: Women in Cannabis
- Medical Cannabis: From Rogue to Recovery to Riches
- Weed for Women’s Wellness and Sexual Health
- Vice to Virtue: the Social Impact of Cannabis
- The Three Big Bets to Make in Cannabis Tech
- Liberating Creativity in A World of Compliance
- The Future of Cannabis Consumption
- Hacking the Misogyny Obstacle Course in Cannabis
- Artificial Intelligence and Cannabis
These are just a few of the thousands of ideas that have been entered via the 2020 SXSW PanelPicker —speaking proposals cover everything from astrobiology to nanotechnology to zebras and everything in between. That’s where you come in! Sign in to your SXSW account (or create a new one) to vote and comment on the proposals that you think should be part of next year’s March Magic. But hurry because voting ends at 11:59 Pacific Time on Friday, August 23.
Play with the “Search” button on the left side of the interface to find (and vote for) other thought-provoking trends and themes in the PanelPicker include Business, Future Sex, Building Trust, Robots and Success.
About 10–20% of the proposals will be accepted as sessions for the March 2020 event. These sessions will be announced on the SXSW website in mid-October. Buy your badge now so you can be part of the massive learning, discovery, cross-industry networking and creativity that is South by Southwest.
Hugh Forrest serves as Chief Programming Officer at SXSW, the world’s most unique gathering of creative professionals. He also tries to write at least four paragraphs per day on Medium. These posts often cover tech-related trends; other times they focus on books, pop culture, sports and other current events.