SXSW PanelPicker Proposals on Diversity
Use the search button at the top left corner of the SXSW PanelPicker to locate the speaking proposals that interest you the most.
Terms that score particularly well via this search button include “data” and “share” and “diversity.” 10 of the most compelling of the many proposals within this “diversity” search include:
- #robotssowhite: Diversity in AI Design: Why do we design our interactive AI to be women? Why do people assume Pepper is a girl? Why is the face of AI designed after caucasian features? If AI is humanity’s child, then what do our children say about us?
- All Inclusive: The Business Case for Diversity: Learn why empowering your employees and giving them a voice is not only the right thing to do — but also has hard business benefits.
- Diversity Beyond Theory: Hiring Female Designers: Based on the experiences of two women in the digital market in Latin America, this talk will debunk common myths about the difficulty of finding good female designers, and present practices to deconstruct recruitment biases in companies.
- Diversity in Podcasting: Righting the Ratio: As of mid-2017, a majority of the top 100 podcasts were hosted by straight, white men. Join a diverse panel of podcast hosts and pros who are working to right the ratio and increase diverse voices in podcasting.
- Diversity’s Crucial Role in AI and Emergent Tech: This session will focus on the need for diverse engineering teams at the inception of AI design, as well as the important opportunity to build diverse voices into emergent technology as we launch into the next era of technical innovation.
- How Tech Hubs Outside SV Lead The Way on Diversity: Can starting a company outside Silicon Valley lend more opportunity to under-represented entrepreneurs and elevate diverse business ideas?
- New Breed of Growth Capital for Funding Diversity: With the growing trend of more startups being founded by women, ethnic minorities, military veterans, and LBTQ founders, greater investment in these ventures is needed to ensure the innovation and economic growth across all communities that these founders represent.
- Reinventing Pathways to Tech Diversity: It’s time to redirect pathways to opportunity that is promised by tech industry diversity. In DC, we’ve created a nationally unique partnership of corporations, nonprofits, and the public to help put left-out communities on an innovative training pathway to tech careers. Get insights to build pathways to tech diversity in your own community.
- What NASA and LEGO Can Teach Us About Diversity: By harnessing technology’s ability to connect minds everywhere, the smartest organizations have learned that inviting in outside people allows them to more efficiently solve their biggest challenges.
- Why Diversity in Tech is Still an Uphill Battle: Can real change in diversity and inclusion really happen? Can these changes be accelerated in Silicon Valley and STEAM careers in general? The format for this conversation will be a candid discussion about the challenges, what is not working, and what programs are having an impact.
Vote on your favorite SXSW PanelPicker ideas through the end of the day on Friday, August 25. When you find a proposal that you really like, please also add comments to this entry.
Also, save more than 35% on the walkup registration fees for SXSW if you buy your badge before the early-bird rate expires on Friday, September 8.
Hugh Forrest serves as Chief Programming Officer at SXSW, the world’s most unique gathering of creative professionals. He also tries to write at least four paragraphs per day on Medium. These posts often cover tech-related trends; other times they focus on books, pop culture, sports and other current events.