Ten Top SXSW 2017 Podcasts, Vol 1
Ten podcasts from March Magic 2017 to delight your ears include:
- AI Replaces Search: Future of Customer Acquisition. This panel explored how artificial intelligence can become a viable user acquisition channel for publishers, content providers and others who have traditionally looked to SEO and SEM for customer acquisition.
- Are Biometrics the New Face of Surveillance? Speakers on this all-star session included Brian Bracken of Kairos, Cory Doctorow of Boing Boing, Christopher Piehota of the FBI and Sara Sorcher of the Christian Science Monitor.
- Brexit: How UK/European Tech Companies Are Coping. This session identified the changes that tech companies in the United Kingdom and Europe have already experienced and will continue to experience as a result of last summer’s vote.
- Design Like a Scientist: A/B Testing UX at Netflix. Led by Netflix Product Designer Navin Iyengar, this solo presentation covered key insights gleaned from years of A/B testing on tens of millions of Netflix members, showing relevant examples from the product to help you think about your own designs.
- The Future of Jobs Is Dark & Full of Terror (Is It Though?). This panel sought to adopt a critical approach on these predictions in order to try and capture the weak signals of automation, and consider its best possible answers. How does AI leads to a paradigm shift in automation, especially in comparison to previous technological upheavals? What does it take to achieve a fair, profitable and sustainable human-machine complementarity?
- It’s Time to Ask More of Open Data. Celebrated open data leaders (including Beth Beck of NASA and Brett Hurt of data.world) shared their lessons from their work in enhancing discoverability, usability, and a range of other factors that maximize open data’s problem-solving power.
- Market Analysis Made Easy at Your Library. This panel covered how to navigate through useful data for startups and reveal solutions that have helped entrepreneurs in one of the hottest startup markets in the US. You’ll hear strategies from two business librarians and get the perspective of an entrepreneur who used library services to help launch her new venture.
- The Pervert’s Guide to Computer Programming Languages. Need to know the right programming language for you? Wavell Watson from Vulk has all the answers to all your questions!
- Ready Or Not, The Bots Have Risen! Executives from Yahoo, Facebook, Assist and Pandorabots discuss why this new interaction model will be the future of how we find the information we want and need from the brands we love.
- Shark, Billionaire, Activist: Chris Sacca. Learn more about the man (pictured above) behind so many great investments and so many cool cowboy shirts by listening to his intriguing one-on-one interview with Alex Konrad of Forbes from Saturday, March 11.
The SXSW SoundCloud channel also contains podcasts from the March 2016 event in Austin .
If listening to this content inspires you to want to speak at SXSW 2018, then mark your calendar for the PanelPicker entry process. We will accept speaking ideas via this interface beginning on Monday, June 26 and ending on Friday, July 21. Stay tuned to the SXSW website for complete details
Hugh Forrest tries to write four paragraphs per day on Medium. These posts generally cover technology-related trends. When not attempting to wordsmith or meditating, he serves as Chief Programming Officer at SXSW in Austin.