Track Changes & Revisions for SXSW 2019
June 25 begins the four-week entry period for March Magic speaking proposals via the SXSW PanelPicker. Use this interface through the end of the day on July 20 to enter your incredible speaking idea for the 2019 event.
One of the first steps for the PanelPicker application process is deciding which of the 25 programming tracks best fits your speaking idea. At SXSW, “Tracks” are the way that sessions are grouped — and the way we determine which sessions go to which downtown Austin venues.
For 2019, we have added two new tracks to the mix: “Blockchain & Crypto” as well as “Cannabusiness.” Because SXSW is always evolving, changing, transitioning and improving, there are many other tracks from last year’s event that have been revised or have widened their focus for next March.
Listed below (in alphabetical order by first word) are the 25 tracks that you will select from when entering your PanelPicker proposal. These 25 tracks will likewise form the core of conference content at SXSW 2019 in Austin.
- Blockchain & Crypto (NEW FOR 2019). Scheduled for the second half of the week at SXSW 2019, this new track builds off the success of the “Blockchain Series of Sessions” at last year’s event.
- Brands & Marketing: Consistently one of the highest attended tracks at SXSW, “Brands & Marketing” runs from Saturday, March 9 through Thursday, March 14.
- Cannabusiness (NEW FOR 2019). Also scheduled for the second half of the week at SXSW 2019, this new track will explore the many exciting new opportunities that are arising in the fast-changing cannabis industry.
- Cities, Government & Politics (REVISED FOR 2019). Previously called “Government,” this revised track incorporates programming from the very popular “Cities Summit” in March 2018.
- Coding & Development (REVISED FOR 2019). A slightly changed name is less important than the format change for 2019. Almost all of the sessions in the “Coding & Programming” track will employ a longer, workshop-type approach to this topic.
- CLE: If you are a lawyer, then get the Continuing Legal Education credits you need at March Magic.
- Design: As much as SXSW has changed over the last few decades, the focus on creativity within all things design has been a constant theme.
- Entertainment Influencers: This track is where you’ll find some of the most intriguing and inspiring talent that comes to Austin every spring.
- Entrepreneurship & Startups (REVISED FOR 2019): Founders are a huge part of SXSW. This track covers everything from bootstrap financing to best strategies for a successful exit.
- Experiential Storytelling: If you want to know the newest techniques for creating compelling stories, then you want to be part of this track.
- Film & TV Industry: Learn how film and television continues to morph and adapt to the digital revolution.
- Food: Running March 11–13, the Food track tackles everything from new sources of protein to 21st century meal delivery.
- Future Workplace (REVISED FOR 2019). A renewed emphasis on the employment landscapes of tomorrow adds the word “Future” to the “Workplace” track that has long been a staple of March Magic.
- Health & MedTech (REVISED FOR 2019): In just a few years, the Health track has grown to become incredibly influential. For 2019, we add “MedTech” to the title and formally acknowledge the significant influence of new technology in this space.
- Intelligent Future: This is the space to learn about the newest innovations in artificial intelligence, as well as various other ahead-of-the-curve innovations.
- Making & Marketing Music (REVISED FOR 2019): Last year, this track was titled “Making & Producing Music.”
- Making Film & Episodics: If you are producing film-related content, this this track is for you.
- Media & Journalism (REVISED FOR 2019): Previously known as “News & Journalism,” this track has a revised title which reflects an increased focus on the rapidly changing media business, the consolidation of media companies, and how technology impacts the way content is produced, distributed and consumed.
- Music Industry & Culture (REVISED FOR 2019): This track mixes the expertise of legendary artists as well as up-and-comers who will shape the next wave of rock and pop.
- Social & Global Impact (REVISED FOR 2019): The word “Global” has been added to this track title to reflect the international focus of many of these socially-conscious sessions.
- Sports: Star athletes are a big part of this track, as is big data, wearable tech, performance maximization, optimal fan experiences and numerous other sub-topics.
- Style & Retail (REVISED FOR 2019): The new element of this track is the increased focus on retail-related changes and innovations.
- Tech Industry & Enterprise (REVISED FOR 2019): We’ve added “Enterprise” to this title, thus providing a landing spot for the strong B2B element of SXSW. These sessions begin on March 8 and continue through March 14.
- Touring & Live Experience: These sessions start on March 12 and conclude on March 16.
- VR/AR/MR (REVISED FOR 2019): We added “MR” to this track title to reflect the growing number of mixed reality projects being created and discussed within this grouping.
Now that you know the categories for 2019, its time to start perfecting your PanelPicker proposal. Stay tuned to this page for a running list of 25 tips that will help you maximize your effort in this ever-competitive process.
Hugh Forrest serves as Chief Programming Officer at SXSW, the world’s most unique gathering of creative professionals. He also tries to write at least four paragraphs per day on Medium. These posts often cover tech-related trends; other times they focus on books, pop culture, sports and other current events.